If you are registering your vehicle for the first time, or do not meet the requirements of renewing online (listed below) we look forward to working with you in person. Whether you are renewing or registering your vehicle, you will need your valid pink insurance card as proof of insurance (which must provide public liability and property damage coverage under an owner's automobile insurance policy as provided for in the Alberta Insurance Act), your driver’s licence and, if applicable, your old vehicle registration.

You may be able to renew your registration online if:

  • You have a Class 3 passenger vehicle - including cars, light trucks, vans, motorcycles, or motorhomes
  • Your vehicle is not registered as a fleet or company vehicle
  • Your address has not changed
  • Your registration has not been expired for more than 2 months
  • You want to renew your vehicle registration for one year
Renew Online

When Do You Need to Renew Your Registration?

To see when you need to renew your vehicle registration please view our registration expiry month chart
Registration Expiry Month Chart for Personal and Business.

Registering a Vehicle Bought Through a Bill of Sale?

When buying a vehicle the client needs to bring in the Bill of Sale, proof of insurance and NVIS if applicable. If two (2) people are on the Bill of Sale they both have to be present at the time of vehicle registration, if one of the parties cannot be here then a filled out VEHICLE REGISTRATION AUTHORIZATION form has to be filled out giving consent for the other person to register the vehicle (download the form below). Prices can vary on this as there are many ways a vehicle can be registered.

Vehicle Registration Authorization Form

Residency Requirements for Registration

If you are a new resident of Alberta you must obtain an Alberta driver’s license and register your vehicle within 90 days of moving to the province, this must happen even if you travel outside of Alberta during those 90 days. If you are a legal resident of a jurisdiction outside Alberta but are working temporarily in Alberta you may use the plates and valid registration from your home jurisdiction up to a maximum of 183 days in a calendar year. However if your vehicle has been in Alberta over the 183 day limit obtain an Alberta registration. If you are visiting Alberta you may use the valid registration and plates from your home jurisdiction as long as you don’t take up residency in Alberta. If you do take up residency in Alberta then you must obtain an Alberta registration and plates within 90 days. If you are staying in Alberta while you are attending an accredited institution as a full time student you can use your valid registration and plates from your home jurisdiction. You also must have valid insurance on the vehicle and the registration for the vehicle must contain your name either exclusively or jointly with another individual. You also should carry proof from the accredited institution that you are attending verifying your full time student status for presentation to a law enforcement officer should a situation come up where it is required. These rule apply to private vehicles only.

Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Registration

In order to register a vehicle in Alberta you MUST present a valid financial responsibility card (pink card) issued from your insurance company. All registered owners to be endorsed on the certificate of registration must also appear on the insurance certificate that is presented to the registry agent. The insurance company you receive a pink card from must be licensed to sell insurance in Alberta.

Vehicle Registration Terms

Vehicle registration is normally for a minimum term of three months and a maximum term of 1 year. The exception to this is passenger vehicles. These vehicles can be registered for maximum term of 1 or 2 years and the same minimum three month term.

Your Matches

Contact Us: